The 2022 Southwest Kiln Conference will be held on October 6 – 9, 2022 at the Western New Mexico University Museum in Silver City, New Mexico.
Thursday, October 6
- 10:00 Meet at museum to gather firewood (For early arrivals who want to help)
Friday, October 7
- 8:00-9:00 Pick up registration materials, WNMU Auditorium, Global Resource Center foyer
- 9:00-10:00 Jeff Cooper: “Mysteries of Mimbres Mineral Painted Pottery.” An in depth look at how the ancient artisans may have used available resources to master painted black-on-white and red wares.
- 10:00-11:00 Danielle Romero: (WNMU Museum Director) “Mimbres Sourcing of clays and Trade Systems”
- 11:15-12:15 Kelly Magleby : “Wild Clay and the Pottery Process; A Reflection of Life.” Collecting and troubleshooting Native Clays, tips and tricks for finding wild clays.
- 12:15-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:00 Andy Ward: “Shades of Grey”, A Brief History of Southwest Black-on-White Replication
- 2:00-3:00 – Elyena Kingsley “A Rematriation of Three MesoAmerican and Amerindian Designs in Terra Cotta and Stone.” This presentation will examine the cultural significance of the stone and Terra Cotta designs in the T-Doors of the Southwest, the House of Phallus at Uxmal, and the terracotta sculpture of Coatlicue, who was the mother of the hummingbird war god who led the Aztecs to Tenotichtlan.
- 3:00-3:15 – Break
- 3:15-4:15 – Mary Ownby “Sourcing of Mimbres pottery with reference to the chemical (NAA) data but more on the geology and sand temper characteristics.”
- 6:00-8:00 Jeff Osgood and Students/Kelly Magleby: Painting Demo and yucca brush usage, interactive session
- 6:00-8:00 Wayne Keene: Tile painting class (class is FULL) Museum classroom
- John Olson and JoAnn Weldon recognition and tribute.
Saturday October 8
- 8:00-12:00 Trench Firing – Bob Casias, Cherylene Tori Hoops, Jeff Osgood
- 8:00-12:00 Tile firing – Wayne Keene
- 8:00-12:00 Tony Soares style “urban pit fire” technique – Pam Herring
- 8:00-12:00 Micaceous firing – Steve Rospopo
- 8:00-12:00 Surface organic paint firing & reduced iron experimental firing – Andy Ward
- 12:00 –1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-2:00 Set up Silent Auction, Visit Tribute to Joanne Weldon
- 2 PM- 4PM Museum Collections Tour, Danielle Romero (Director of the Museum WNMU)
- 5:30 – Silent Auction Closes
- 6:00-7:30 Catered Dinner ($25 estimated)
- 7:30 – 9:00 Trade Blanket
Sunday, October 9
- 8:00 – Open the kilns and discuss outcomes
- ? Group Photo
- 11:00 Field trip to Caprock manganese mines – Andy Ward
- Tour of Mimbres Cultural Center